Total Pageviews


Sunday, September 5, 2021

Poetry Exploration and Critique Workshop

 

As part of Dunshaughlin Poetry Town laureateship I will be facilitating an online workshop on poetry exploration and critique. The event will take place on Thursday 16th September, from 7 pm to 9 pm. Tickets can be booked on Eventbrite, here.

Anyone with an interest in poetry, budding or more advanced, is invited to attend.

Later in the week I will unveil a list of 5 poems to be discussed during the workshop. 


Congratulations to the Meath Senior Ladies Gaelic football team who won the All Ireland today in some style, and were a joy to watch.

I heard on the radio earlier that it would have been Dolores O'Riordan's 50th birthday tomorrow so I've edited a poem I wrote in her memory, when she passed in 2018. 

RIP Sarah Harding of Girls Aloud too. 


Fade-out Bittersweet

IM Dolores O’Riordan, 1971-2018


The soul of Éireann

gathered as a storm on water

summoned to her voice,

released in a yearning of rain.

 

Flowers grew, imbued with

rock ‘n’ roll tie-dyed grace,

teenagers by stereos,

without mobiles or WIFI

 

before Celtic Tiger’s roar,

when life was new.

The first snow drop

reaches up on a day of death.

 

When stars shine am I looking on you?

Or are you looking on me?

Is this great divide of selves

a pool untouchable?

 

When I think of her going

it is the recoiling of the heart I fear,

the fading into nothingness of original song

when we cannot press repeat.

 

Orla Fay




No comments:

Post a Comment