Total Pageviews


Sunday, April 18, 2010

ROPES 18 and the 2010 Cuirt Festival of Literature


On Thursday evening I hope to attend the launch of ROPES 2010, Issue 18 in the Skeffington Arms, Eyre Square, Galway.  I have a piece of flash fiction in it about a weekend I spent in Gleann Colm Cille last year.

The Cuirt International Festival of Literature is celebrating its 25th year and is running from the 20th to the 25th of April.  The writers of the Gallery Press are reading  at 2.30 on Saturday in the Town Hall Theatre.  The Gallery Press is itself turning 40 this year.  And I have just seen that on Sunday there will be a performance about The Wilder Wisdom of Auld Ones...Stories, Legends and Poetry inspired by the Cailleach in the Nun's Island Theatre.  This is very interesting!  Jennifer Johnston and Michael Longley are appearing at the festival too.  I admire them both as writers and I met Johnston once and she signed a copy of The Invisible Worm for me.  On the inside of this book Blake's poem is quoted:

O Rose, thou art sick!


The Invisible worm,

That flies in the night,

In the howling storm,



Has found out thy bed

Of Crimson joy;

And his dark secret love

Does thy life destroy.

The full programme of events can be found on http://www.cuirt.ie/

No comments:

Post a Comment