Total Pageviews


Wednesday, August 18, 2021

REM at Slane Castle

There has been a lot of coverage in the papers about the 40th anniversary of concerts at Slane Castle. The first was held in August 1981 when Thin Lizzy headlined and a young U2 performed. I remember the motorbikes roaring to Slane on the Trim to Navan road to see Bruce Springsteen and Queen in the 1980s. My first concert was REM in July 1995. I wrote this poem about it a couple of years ago and edited it tonight.


REM at Slane Castle, July 1995

 

I danced around the hill triumphantly

to Losing my Religion

sang the lyrics with conviction.


When darkness came fireworks fizzed.

Earlier Oasis had left their microphones on, 

Liam Gallagher exiting the stage 


a classic villain,

to blaring, screeching, 

drum piercing scratches.


Belly played Feed the Tree

which I loved from some grunge

compilation album my older brother owned.


It had been a year since Kurt died.

I sewed patches adorned 

with his face to my denim schoolbag.


I thought I knew everything.

Nightswimming was yet to deserve

a quiet night, and everybody would hurt.


Orla Fay 






No comments:

Post a Comment