Total Pageviews


Thursday, January 13, 2022

Two Snowdrop Poems

 

Snowdrops John Noonan

Thanks to poet John Noonan for taking a photo of the snowdrops in his garden. Below are two pieces on the subject of the flower, and this time of the year. The first was written nearly fifteen years ago and I have slightly edited it. The second I wrote maybe two years ago. I'm still waiting to see my first snowdrop in the flesh, this January.

A Snowman and a Snowdrop Fleeting

Now I am a sculpture
my skin is cold, patterned
with fingerprints, texture
soft and full of clumps.

By my feet fluffy and wet,
is my daughter budding hope,
pure as a pearl, or an aching tear
shed before daffodil hour.

As it grows dark
the land is lavender quiet.
She nods her head in the wind
and I alone understand her silently.

We are not here for long 
we concur.  By nature
I am older and she, younger.
Together we drift.

A snowman and a snowdrop
stand between falling flakes,
neither the wiser, 
still, they are time.

Orla Fay


***


Snowdrop, Fallen Star

She calls to me, 
blissful ballerina,
the happiest thing on the embankment.

Galanthus, the milk of flowers,
hope splashed woods, fields 
and pathways her design.

Among blooms she is singular,
her trembling stem liminal,
coaxed by that expectant sun.

A sisterhood clusters
along a hedgerow, almost hidden.
They have little to say

in the nights that succumb
yet to flickering candlelight,
as the tide returns from glimmerwane,

the year half asleep, still dreaming.
She curls toes in a dawn,
while opening her eyes 

to the Plough and the Blue Moon.

Orla Fay







No comments:

Post a Comment