Total Pageviews


Wednesday, February 9, 2022

Chrome Injury by Memphis Star



Memphis Star is an Indie Pop band from the Midwest. Green Bay, Wisconsin to be exact. Members include Sam Hart, Jenna Kopitske, Michael Stirk and Chris Anderson. "Their sound draws from styles of modern Indie music, as well as 1970s Blue-Eyed Soul and Alternative Rock. This blend creates a new bop with hints of nostalgia."

Their new album Chrome Injury is set for release this year. This is a wistful, 90s-sounding compilation that brings slightly to mind Electronic, The Sundays and Crowded House.  Its first song Sign of the Times can be found on YouTube. They sing here about disillusionment with politics and social media. An apathy has crept in.

Sign of the Times

Verse 1

I’m up late watching the news again

Unwanted drama when will it ever end

Build a wall screams the president

If I don’t get what I want

I’ll bring down the government


Chorus

It’s a sign of the times

When I can’t sleep at night

It’s a sign of the times

I'm not exactly sure what a chrome injury is, but The Chrome Injury was a single by the Australian band, The Church. The title track by Memphis Star also features a man who seems numbed and distant. 

75 Reasons is a gorgeous, catchy, upbeat piece with surprising arrangement and a rolling guitar solo. The lead sings "I want to tell you something, I talk but out comes nothing that ain't right, and it goes like...dum diddy dum diddy da...and it sounds right, at least in my mind."

Hearts for Hers is a funky tune about unrequited love, "I want you to fake it, on my time please take it...you act so conceited, makes me feel defeated" it rhymes. While "When I grow up I want to be something in...the movies" opens the mildly rocklike Rosie Velvet, a nostalgic, uplifting composition, like Lying in the Grass which finishes the record. Blue World is a fine blending of voice with sweet poignancy:

I don't know why I feel lonely, 

I don't know why I feel blue, 

I don't think I'm the only one, 

the only one that feels this way, 

feels this way, sometimes, sometimes. 

I don't know why you console me, 

I don't know why you were there, 

I just know you're the only one, 

the only one that seems to care, seems to care, 

all the time, yeah! All the time, yeah!

Overall Chrome Injury is a very pleasant listen with tender notes, and a care for vintage. I could imagine having one of these songs stay with me from the car radio, or being somewhere and stopping to Shazam its sound. More info here, or follow the band on Facebook.




No comments:

Post a Comment