Total Pageviews


Saturday, February 27, 2010

Salthill


When I visit Salthill I am always drawn back to my student days between '96 and '99.  I remember studying Sylvia Plath and Anne Sexton.  It was a time of change for me.  This description by Plath of her childhood sea has always stayed with me:

"My childhood landscape was not the land but the end of the land - the cold, salt, running hills of the Atlantic.  I sometimes think that my vision of the sea is the clearest thing I own.  I pick it up, exile that I am, like the purple 'lucky stones' I used to collect with a white ring all the way round, or the shell of a blue mussel with its rainbowy angel's fingernail interior; and in one wash of memory the colors deepen and gleam, the early world draws breath."


No comments:

Post a Comment