Total Pageviews


Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Tori Amos Iveagh Gardens Dublin


Okay there is no doubt that I am getting so excited tonight about going to see Tori Amos in concert on Friday night heeeeeeeeeeeee.  For a couple of weeks now these lyrics from Father Lucifer have been floating around my mind:

Father Lucifer you never looked so sane you always did prefer the drizzle to the rain tell me that you're still in love with that milkmaid, how're the lizzies, how's your Jesus Christ been hanging?

This song is off her 1996 album Boys for Pele which affected me greatly in my late teens.  I had the tape cassette of this album.  On the album cover Tori is pictured sitting on a chair with a shotgun resting on her lap.  It is my favourite album of hers.  I love the songs Horses, Hey Jupiter and Caught a Lite Sneeze from it.  It also spawned the club hit Professional WidowBoys for Pele was partly recorded in Co. Wicklow.

I suppose Amos first came to my attention with her hit Cornflake Girl. It reached no. 4 in the U.K. chart and is from her 1994 album Under the Pink.  The song is about betrayal between women; the cornflake girls are narrowminded and prejudiced while the raisin girls are openminded and multi-cultural.  I remember having one of my first sexual encounters on a couch listening to Tori Amos.

Another song I love by Amos is Winter from her 1992 album Little Earthquakes.  It also appears on her collection Tales of a Librarian which is a compilation album.  Other songs I love by this artist are Crucify, Silent all these Years, and The Power of Orange Knickers which is from The Beekeeper released in 2005.

What I love about Tori Amos is that you can get lost imaginatively in her lyrical world and find inspiration or safe haven there.  Her work is deeply intelligent and layered.


I can't believe I'm actually going to hear her performing live!!







No comments:

Post a Comment