Total Pageviews


Saturday, July 10, 2010

Twilight Eclipse


Edward, Jacob, Bella
I went to see Twilight Eclipse this evening on one of the wettest weekends this Summer.  The movie opens with a scene in which a young man is walking through an alley in a city as the rain pours down.  Was I walking into the movie screen I asked myself?  Thankfully not as the young man meets a violent end at the hand of a...VAMPIRE...but this movie is about vampires!

The Cullens are a family of vampires with a difference.  They do not feed on human blood and try to maintain a peaceful existence in Forks, Washington.  In Eclipse they become defenders of the town along with a pack of werewolves from an army of new blood vampires. 

This is the third installment in the Twilght Saga, a collection of books written by Stephenie Meyer.  The final book is called Breaking Dawn which I may have to read to find out what will happen next. 

Some background is needed.  Bella Swan moves to Forks and falls in love with Edward Cullen the mysterious and beautiful boy in her class.  The course of true love never did run smooth as Edward is a vampire and Bella may have to change to be with him.  To complicate matters Bella forms a deep friendship with Jacob Black who becomes a werewolf when he comes of age.  The vampires and werewolves are sworn enemies but in the past they negotiated a peace treaty whereby each kind stays on its own land.

Some character history is revealed in Eclipse.  The Native American Indian tribe that Jacob belongs to called the vampires "the cold ones".  We learn about Jasper Hale who had been an officer in the Confederate States army before being turned.  Rosalie Hale was saved by Carlisle Cullen (the Cullen's adoptive father) after she was beaten, gangraped and left for dead.  In Eclipse she recounts her life to Bella describing how she planned her revenge.  "I was a bit theatrical in those days" she says after we view a scene of her exacting revenge in a slightly o.t.t. fashion.

A source of entertainment for the cinema goers was the rivalry between Edward and Jacob for Bella's affections.  "I'm hotter than you!" Jacob declares towards the end of the movie which had the teenage girls in the seat behind me giggling and choking on their popcorn.  Ah dear!

I do love some gothic romance.  I am a fan of Ann Rice's vampires, such creatures!

At the beginning of the film Bella is reciting Fire and Ice by Robert Frost in a field of flowers to Edward:

Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I've tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.





No comments:

Post a Comment