Total Pageviews


Saturday, February 12, 2011

The Language of Love - 2


I am almost loved out!  I've finished the two poems I was working on but I will go back to them again.  And I wrote a new poem this morning.  I think I'll take a break now and hopefully come back to poetry later or in the morning.

omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina - everything sounds more impressive when said in Latin

Catullus 85; the entire poem reads, "odi et amo quare id faciam fortasse requiris / nescio sed fieri sentio et excrucior" (I hate and I love. Why do I do this, you perhaps ask. / I do not know, but I feel it happening and am tormented)

omnia vincit amor - love conquers all

And finally:

Ovid, Amores I, 9

<...>
Militat omnis amans, et habet sua castra Cupido:
Attice, crede mihi, militat omnis amans.

<...>
<...>
Every lover wages a war, Cupid has his own campaign
Believe me, Atticus, every lover wages a war.











No comments:

Post a Comment