Total Pageviews


Sunday, June 19, 2011

The Lord of the Rings




We did The Hobbit for Junior Cert in school so afterwards I bought the Lord of the Rings trilogy and knuckled down to reading it for the summer.  It was difficult to give way to a present of fantasy but I loved the first book, The Fellowship of the Ring, and sure enough I found my way slowly through the books.  I'm not a fan of the movies but I might watch them again at some stage.  Such a strange world presented by J.R.R. Tolkien.  I might read the fellowship again too.  How scary are the Nazgul!? argh run...

The Road goes ever on and on

-------- Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
-------- And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
-------- Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
-------- And whither then? I cannot say.

- From The Fellowship of the Ring

Gondor! Gondor, between the Mountains and Sea!
West Wind blew there; the light upon the Silver Tree
Fell like bright rain in gardens of the Kings of old.
O proud walls! White towers! O winged crown and throne of
-------- gold!
O Gondor, Gondor! Shall Men behold the Silver Tree,
Or West Wind blow again between the Mountains and the Sea?

- From The Two Towers

Legolas Greenleaf long under tree
In joy thou hast lived. Beware of the Sea!
If thou hearest the cry of the gull on the shore,
Thy heart shall then rest in the forest no more.

- From The Two Towers

2 comments:

  1. I ribbed my husband and eldest son for years for reading these books. One weekend (I honestly can't remember why) I started The Fellowship of the Ring, and did not emerge until Sunday night, having read the lot. Could not put them down, and I loved them.
    Mind, I enjoyed the films too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. did you think it was just too far fetched Titus, before you read them?

    ReplyDelete