Total Pageviews


Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Rainer Maria Rilke


I had a friend once, well I'm not sure if she was a friend or an angel sent to help me along my way but she was a formidable presence and so very intelligent and wise.  I knew this woman superficially yet I believe she knew me very well.  One thing I know she liked was poetry and she liked my poetry.  Rainer Maria Rilke makes me think of her:

You, You Only, Exist

You, you only, exist.
We pass away, till at last,
our passing is so immense
that you arise: beautiful moment,
in all your suddenness,
arising in love, or enchanted
in the contraction of work.

To you I belong, however time may
wear me away. From you to you
I go commanded. In between
the garland is hanging in chance; but if you
take it up and up and up: look:
all becomes festival!

Rainer Maria Rilke



I remember (love)

So long it has been but now and then
(and on dark winter nights)
it is with gladness of heart
that I greet the form of you
come back for an instant
to make me smile
like the flame from the fire
or a forgotten voice
resurgent

but you are gone,
far down the river,
whispering back so that I know
you were true, shadow
that cut deeper than any blade,
that raised my eyes to the sun
and laughing, suddenly you were done!

No thanks could be given. None at all.
But I take you with me to a blue sky
to the calligraphy of the birds
with pounding chests
drenched with rains of light
on their wings.

Orla Fay

No comments:

Post a Comment